Monday, October 27, 2008

Singapore Sixty-Years Ago: Palau Ubin






Today is a public holiday in Singapore, it's Deepvali, the Hindu New Year, so school is closed. I decided to make this a "holi-stay" weekend, so I went sight seeing throughout Singapore. Thursday night I hit up Chijmes, a hotspot for expats and tourists--it's a variety of restaurants, bars and shops on the site of an old cathedral. Mansita, Antoinnette and I ate tapas there. You can read about Saturday on my post entitled, "A Good Day." On Sunday, I went to the Changi Prison Museum, where I learned about the Japanese occupation of Singapore during WWII, and life as a POW in the gaol. Then I hopped a bum-boat to Palau Ubin, an island off the coast of Singapore. There are about 100 inhabitants that remain on the island, still living as if it were Singapore 60 years ago, living in Kelongs and bungalows amidst the wildlife. I went with my playwriting and screenwriting professors. We rented bikes and explored the island, seeing quarries and swamps and wetlands. We saw lizards and flying monkeys. The following is a pictorial guide to my day on the island.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those boats look like they're about to sink!