Saturday, March 6, 2010

MELAKA: Work-a-Way turn Hol-i-Day

 

I decided it was time to get some good, solid work done—away from Singapore, and focused.  It was a good thought.  It’s worked in the past—those quick writer-get-aways…away from the monotony of life on the island.  That city-state I almost call “home.”  So I hopped on a bus to Melaka, Malaysia, “a world heritage city,” or so the sign says when you enter the town square.  It was formerly a Portuguese colony, and then the Dutch took over, also very influenced by Peranakan culture.

In order to get into Malaysia, you have to get out of Singapore, first.  So you get on a bus, drive to the end of Singapore, get out, go through a long line at customs, (though I wasn’t asked a single question, and I didn’t have to show my belongings) and then back on the bus, and cross the bridge that connects Singapore to Malaysia, and instantly, you feel as though you're in a completely different world.  You automatically go from what Singapore is, to what Singapore was, and it’s in a matter of miles.

My time in Melaka was spent walking around this heritage port-town.  There’s the river, which has a “boardwalk” you can walk along.  Very pleasant.  It’s an interesting city to wander, because there’s a mix of the Malaysian influence, which is heavily Islamic (you can hear the calls to prayer at the appropriate hours… I enjoy this, it adds a certain romance to the ambiance.  I hear it in Singapore sometimes, too, but not as distinctly as here.)  But there’s also the very prevalent Portuguese-Dutch colonial influence, and let’s not forget the Peranakans, too, so you’ve got mosques, temples, and... colonial-style churches, which one doesn’t see much of in Asia; at least not the places I’ve been.

The place to go at night is Jonker Street.  Try a chicken-rice ball and some Cholon.  Jonker street, and Melaka in general, is an antique-lover’s paradise.  Jonker street is kind of like a night market, except it’s integrated into the town, with eating, shopping, walking, music, etc.  I ended up on a t-shirt buying binge.  I love t-shirts.  Especially the random ones you find in Asia, or Brooklyn thrift stores. Practically every other store was selling t-shirts. I gotta enjoy my lifestyle of being able to wear jeans/t-shirts, until I no longer can.  So for now, hit me with your best shirt!

Words of advice to those traveling to Melaka:

1.  Bring sunscreen and a sun-hat.  It’s bloody hot in this country!  Singapore is hot, for sure, you’d think being right on the Equator means it can’t get any hotter…wrong.  Singapore has something I will no longer take for granted:  Shade. Lots of trees, lots of tall buildings.  Lots of Air conditioning emitting from those tall buildings.  In Melaka, it’s nothing but the afternoon sun beating down on you.

2.  Exchange money before arriving.  Most of that time spent with the afternoon sun beating down on me was in search of a money changer or atm, which are few and far-between.

3.  Don’t confuse the Malaysian flag with the American flag.  They look very similar.

4.  For a nice brew, and some relaxed company, I’ll point you in the right direction…


  
  



  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

  

 

   

  

  

  

  

  

 

  

  

  


  

  

  

  

 







No comments: