Saturday, August 22, 2009

Beer and Politics: Are We More Honest When We Drink?

Beer and Politics: Are We More Honest When We Drink?
S. E. Gardner

You want the truth out of someone? Easy. Give them liquor! Just ask anyone who has ever bought me a drink; (I spill all my dirty secrets when I’m tipsy)! And when I want to learn the true intentions of my men, what do I do? Boose ‘em up! Should we be embarrassed? Nah. Instead, I say, let’s embrace the truth!

Having worked in a microbrewery in Washington, DC, I learned a thing or two about beer…and politics. While serving the latest in lagers and ales to the leaders of the free world, I had the occasional privilege to hear politicians speak a rare and amazing thing: the truth. (I could tell you, but then I’d have to kill you…)

But that was four years ago, when the truth was not public knowledge. Not that today’s world is any more truthful (after all, the truth hurts, just like a hangover!), but recently, we have gone through a major transition in American politics. We have transitioned from a President who swore off alcohol, to a President who hosts happy hours in the Oval Office! President Obama’s new diplomacy plan: libation before liberation! Serve up a few cocktails, and we’ll see how the Democratic and Republican leadership really feels about the Economic Stimulus Plan!

More recently, our President has invited two opponents in a fight against racial profiling, to discuss their dispute over a few beers, and hopefully prevent the two from spending precious time and money in court (money which could be better spent on a few rounds of drinks!). If our President can bring dissenters together for a couple of beers, then we might be able to create a little more harmony in this world after all! And what could be better than sharing a nice cold beer with a couple of friends, or even, the hippest President since JFK!

Next time you have an issue. Talk it out over a couple of beers.
After all, our world could use a little more honesty.

No comments: