Sunday, April 5, 2009

Australia: Where the Weather is Unpredictable but the Men are Hott!

After spending 12 days exploring the land down under, here are some general observations:

First off, let me just say that the general population is ridiculously attractive: men and women alike; but ooh the boys are cuute!

And this is not a stiff place at all; it’s laid back and care free! What an amazing feeling.

Melbourne has a very vibrant arts scene. Big theater town. Lots of music venues, fine art, the works. I approve.

Good cheap wine. Enough of a reason to move there!

Pinball machines. They’re everywhere! This place is stuck in the 1980s. Lots of people still ride skateboards, too.

There’s plenty of food to choose from, of all ethnicity's. And it has good Western food, so I definitely got my fix for awhile. But dining isn’t cheap. In Singapore restaurants can be ridiculously expensive, but you can avoid those and eat reasonably at chains, or ridiculously cheap at local stalls. But here, the middle of the road food is still pretty expensive. But I’m sure if I lived there I’d find my way around that. But the pub food is yummy (I love pub cultures, especially where it’s acceptable to go in a pub and have a beer at noon.) OH! And they serve bread with every meal and salads. I miss having that in Singapore.

Hungry Jacks is a fast food chain that is a complete knock-off of Burger King. The label is identical and they even have the Whopper.

Trams are the favorite mode of transportation in Melbourne, though it makes it hard to photograph the city (if you see my pictures from Melbourne, you’ll notice almost all the photos have wires in the picture—those are for the trams.)

Taxis are ridiculously expensive. More expensive than anywhere I’ve ever been. Don’t take them. It’s that simple.

“Good on ya” and “No worries” are common phrases.

Australians are very proud of their home states/cities. Especially Melbournians; they’re convinced it’s the best place on Earth!

Australians love America! (A rare treat to find these days. Actually, in this regard, they reminded me of the Irish, who also love Americans. Actually, the pub food reminds me of Dublin too; you know, the meat-oriented dishes; the pies, etc.) And its interesting, because, they have a similar (though not quite) history to us, and they got started around the same time as us.

No comments: